Thursday, May 6, 2010

Another gluten-free/refined sugar-free day.

This afternoon was sort of stressful. I unbandaged Emilys knee, and was preparing her for a shower, when I hear "mom, I'm feeling kinda dizzy." I get there just in time to grab her as she grabbed for me, and she goes down like a sac of potatoes. The "I feel dizzy" turned into a full out fainting spell, complete with eyes rolling up and everything. It only lasted like 30 seconds but it was enough to scare the crap outta me. When she 'came to' she goes "mom I can't hear"....great. I put a pillow under her head and calm her down...her hearing was only out for a few seconds too, but her head was killing her, and her hand was shaking, shock likely. Next it was "I'm going to be sick!" Nausea, she was white as a ghost. Okay, panick was setting in.
I call my husband and he arranges to meet me in town at the hospital. After she was feeling better, I get my youngest ready and help Emily into the van. We spend 3.5 hours in emerg. Happily, they let her go lay down after triage, because of her knee surgery that she had on Monday, and likely because she could faint again, it was anyones guess. We wait...she recovers. They do an Electrocardiogram (ECG) just to make sure, but the Doctors diagnosis was fainting because of leg pain, getting up from a laying position the blood pools, not enough food, and likely left over codeine in her system from the night before. Her ECG was good. I'm happy he did that test. Now I can rest easily tonight...but it was pretty scary there for a while.

So now food.....well, I had an angus burger...and I was soooo tempted to just eat the bun. But I didn't. That makes day number 2 successful as well...and it was a higher stress day to boot.

I do have a girl evening planned with a close friend of mine, and I already know it's going to entail a blizzard from DQ...she already warned me. So I'm going to go with the flow, and instead of counting it as a failure day, or a streak being broken, I'm going to allow for it, and then get back on the wagon immediately after...not the next day, immediately! And you know...that's one thing most of us do wrong...we think we have to wait until the sun sets and rises in order to start fresh. Well, who made that rule? Why can't we have an 'exception' and then get right back up and start with the water, and keep on the right path, right then and there. If we all did that, there would be a lot less binges, a lot less 'to hell with it' moments. So that's my plan.

3 comments:

Moi said...

I think that is a good plan. A small slip is just that. Even better if it is planned. What gets us in trouble is when we let one non-perfect choice turn into a full out pig out fest.

Pitbull said...

Amen Sista!!! I know you will reach your goals this year!! You've got the right mind set! Love you to bits and pieces baby! xo

Pam90X said...

WOW!!! You are so strong. To go through all of that and still not turn to food for comfort!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

I love the plan...it's not a cheat or a fall of the wagon it is a strategic plan to keep you on course. If you said no I'm not going to have a blizzard and then had one you would likely feel guilty and say "to hell with it" so I'm proud of you for planning on having a treat and moving on straight away! Maybe your girl day could involve working off the blizzard too :)

Hope Emily and you have a better day today.